Thursday, February 14, 2013

Ryan B reads Poetic Justice





Ah, Valentine's Day. 

A day where we are encouraged to share our hearts with our one true love, whether they want it or not.

In my case that "one true love" would be the beautiful Sabrina Spellman from the next town over. That bewitching beauty has had my heart since I was a young boy, and this Valentine's Day I'm finally going to show her how I feel. I just have to get that Harvey guy out of the way first.

So while I do that, why don't you enjoy this heart pumping tale from The Haunt of Fear #12...






What an offal thing to receive on Valentine's Day. Old Henry was probably only expecting SHOCKolates.

Speaking of which, I wound up giving Sabrina a pretty big surprise. I gave her the news that poor Harvey has died (without a fight). She was sad at first, but then agreed to go out with me on a date to the drive-in to see a romantic movie... Brain Eaters from Planet Neptune.

Wish me luck, gang, and have a happy Valentine's Day yourselves!   








Howdy, all you fiends and lovers out there!

Tom Bones here again to tell you all about the live action adaptation of Poetic Justice that appeared in the 1972 Tales from the Crypt anthology movie by Amicus pictures.

First let me say that this is not only THE BEST segment of the TFTC film, but also one of the few adaptations of a comic that surpasses the source material. The film version follows Arthur Grimsdyke (a name I like far more than Elliot) as he is persecuted by his rich and greedy neighbors just like in the comic. Grimsdyke is made even more sympathetic in live action, however, for two reasons.

One is that he's played by veteran actor and horror movie mainstay, Peter Cushing.


And the other is that Grimsdyke, unlike Elliot, communicates with his dead wife via Ouija board which is heartbreaking to watch, especially considering that Cushing's own wife had just died in real life and that's the reason he took this part in the first place.

All the main plot points of the original story are hit. The neighbor's son (who in the film is far more evil than his father) gets Grimsdyke's dogs taken away from him, then gets him fired from his garbage collecting job, then turns all the parent's of the children Grimsdyke loves so much against him. All the while his father doesn't actively encourage his behaviour, but doesn't stop it either. Finally the bastard sends Grimsdyke the insulting Valentines.


Which are pretty much word for word to the ones in the comic. Grimsdyke kills himself of course and only then, after about a week of not hearing from him, does anyone go into his house and see that he is dead. Unlike the comic though it is the father of Grimsdyke's tormentor who is surprised to see the house spotless. One year later Grimsdyke rises from the grave on schedule to pay his killer a Valentine's Day visit.


And the story ends with a little poem, which I think is what the comic version was missing the most, especially considering it's called "Poetic Justice".


"You were mean and cruel right from the start. Now you really have no..."

Hehehe

Just perfect. This is really worth seeking out and watching this Valentine's Day if you haven't seen it already, or hell, even if you have! If not for that great ending alone, than at least for the great performances from all involved, particularly Cushing.

Okay, I'm out of here for now, my friends. I gotta go see if I can dig up some flowers at the local cemetery for my own Valentine. Think she'll be surprised when she sees me with them standing on her doorstep?

Later.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment